Welcome to my cycling blog!

Thanks for visiting this site and for your interest in my cycling journey.

As a teenager and into my mid twentys, I worked in bike shops in the greater Boston area and developed a deep love of riding. When I went into the insurance business, I no longer had the time or drive to continue devoting energy to the sport and, consequently, I let it fall by the wayside for almost 18 years.

Around 1999, driven by a middle-aged need for exercise, I bought a new bike and started riding again: partially for exercise but mostly for pleasure. That lasted about two years and then the bike was back in the garage gathering dust until 2010.

Late in 2009, I learned that a close friend had been diagnosed with cancer and, shortly after that, I learned that his sister-in-law, also a good friend, had also been diagnosed. The fact that my Dad and my Mother-in-law had both been taken by cancer made me think about what I could do to support these friends and the many other folks I know whom I discovered had also been affected by cancer.

I am not good at being a care giver or expressing my concern for folks who are ill. I don't know what to do or say and I feel like I probably make both the person I am supposed to be caring for and me more uncomfortable than if I just left them alone. However, I did discover something I could do: ride my bike and raise funds to fight cancer.

I have become a big fan of the Pan Mass Challenge (a focus of this blog as you will see) and decided to participate in this event for the first time in 2010. This blog will give you an idea of my PMC experiences but, hopefully, will allow me to express my joy at having gotten back into the sport of cycling.

Through my renewed interest in cycling, I have made some great friends, improved my health and improved my outlook on life as well. Oh yeah, and through the PMC, I help fight cancer.

I hope you enjoy.




Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My PMC Ride Starts In Less Than 2 Days

I thought I would sneak in one more post prior to launching on my 250 mile PMC weekend. I am not doing this to boast or puff up the event, I am just very excited and cannot stop thinking about what this experience will mean to me and to so many others.

I have received notes, emails and phone calls of support in the past few days. I am so honored and appreciative that people want to support me but am also aware that what these wonderful folks are really doing is supporting this fantastic fight against cancer. I have heard and read moving stories of how cancer has impacted my friends and colleagues, in particular one friend who's father is losing his battle even as I write this post. I also learned, just today, that a very close friend is back in a positive place after his second cancer surgery. These are the people for whom I make this effort and these are the reasons that I have ridden more than 3,200 miles since the last PMC and why I will ride a million more if it helps to find a cure.

I think I am ready. Just nervous energy and trying to get myself organized. Watching the Olympics this past week has been inspirational. The focus of all the athletes is amazing. I only hope I can have a small portion of that focus. I feel like I do when I get ready to sing a performance: nervous energy, anxiety, confidence, anxiety, pride, fulfillment and, did I mention, anxiety. I have done the miles, pushed myself, climbed hills, endured pain (lots of new pain) and enjoyed the zen of long rides when I only have myself to talk to. Oh, and I have discovered two things in all my training: 1) Getting old is no fun and does not make life easier and 2) I am not good company. Even I don't like spending time alone with me, although I do make myself laugh (a lot).

So, self deprecation aside, I feel good about my 2012 PMC ride and am grateful for the continuous support of my loving family who I desert for hours at a time on a regular basis for training rides. In particular, my loving wife Gail, who tolerates, prods, encourages and supports me and is my favorite cheerleader. She is my lifeline during PMC weekend and is the face that I look for at the finish lines. I could not do it without her and her love.

In less than 36 hours, I will start. Happy, full of hope and strong. Not because I matter, but because this cause does.

Darryl

No comments:

Post a Comment